Tuesday, February 20, 2024

 

DO YOU NEED A WALKING STICK – BY THE WAY?

You know, it is winter season in Norway-believe it or not-every year!


Due to an unpleasant winter season in Norway this year including the City of Oslo, the capital og Norway, walking activities are regarded as risky business. Some of us who are not regarded as young anymore, including myself are recommended the daily activity called « walking». Even my doctor makes annual a statement about walking daily. Your health will be improved and also your living standard will be better according the my doctor. My close friends are also aging aiming at the age of 80.Not bad I think. We happy few who are approaching the age of 80, are dependant on pavements well kept for winter conditions. We believe that the public office for clearing away the snow and ice are aware of the annual winter season in Norway? Anyway, every year we all are surprised by the snow.Not this year too! What about the walking group who is not car lovers, or among those who want to make use of bicycle without any care for the weather. I do not belong to those who Africans call « … lazy man sit walking…». I like walking all year around including the nasty winter.




THE BRITISH TREKKING STICK

Do you need a walking stick during winter season in Norway at all? Yes, I do. During my stay in Singapore in 2007 attending an international conference dealing with audiovisual archives worldwide, I bought a walking stick. The trekking stick was designed by the British officer Sir Jefffery Hillpig-Smyth for the British special forces stationed in Mandalay, East India in year 1941 during the Second World War. Sir Jefferey Hillpig-Smyth did not make the stick with reference to the cold and nasty winter season in Norway. He was thinking of the soldiers of the British Forces Burmese Army. The trekking stick is a splendid tool because you can put the stick in two parts and later screw the parts together. As far as I know, the trekking stick can be bought. Thank you old chap! Welcome to winter Norway!

Tedd Urnes

20.02.2024

 

 

No comments: