Tuesday, August 20, 2013

HISTORY ON THE WALL: PHILIPPE VILLIERS DE L'ISLE-ADAM

Some years ago I paid the islands of Malta a visit. Philippe Villers de L'Isle-Adam had been on the islands before me. The history of  his actions and life were presented to tourists like me. Anyway,
I had forgotten about the man but the memory of him came back when I was walking in the old City of Nice. He had been here too. How could I know about  his stay in Nice? A memorial plaque on the wall of an old building gave me the correct information. Philippe Villers was born in year 1464 and died in Malta on 21.August 1563. He was a prominent member of the Knights Hospitaller at Rhodos and later Malta. He was elected 44th Grand Master of the Order in 1521. He stayed in Nice from 1527 to 1529. The history on the wall is fascinating and a wake up event for any tourist walking in the streets of Nice. My advice: Look up and view the buildings and you will have a nice time in Nice getting new information about the history of the city of Nice.
 
 

No comments: