Wednesday, July 4, 2018


MY OLD ROCKING CHAIR


From time to time close friends, members of my family and those who have paid me a visit in my library are asking me the same questions again and again about my rocking chair: Why do you keep a rocking chair in your library for daily use? The rocking chair was bought by me in 1965, I think. The chair is 53 years of age. Not too old compared with the young people I work with these days.  None of friends have bought a rocking chair. When I bought the chair few of my friends at that time had any interest in sitting in a rocking chair which was associated with hospitals and mental facilities. I had no physical problems at the time or later. No.

The main reason for me to begin thinking about my rocking chair was the latest news that Joe Kennedy III has made some statements indicating that he might run for the presidency of USA. I had not heard about the boy but my interest for the Kennedy family is an old interest. Kennedy back in business! Splendid news!Joe Kennedy is a grandson of Robert F.Kennedy. My answer to those who are questioning me about my rocking chair is a recommendation to take a look at the books close to the door of my library: Books about John F. Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy, Jackie Kennedy and the Kennedy family. I bought the rocking chair in 1965 because the late John F. Kennedy had one. My interest for political issues was a result of the policy of John F. Kennedy: His personal style, his speeches, his support for a better world for people in generally, his critics to the military establishment of USA, his conflict with CIA and above all: FBI and J. Edgar Hoover.

But let us go back to my rocking chair and the history of the chair. As far as I know the inventor of the rocking chair is still unknown. The rocking chair holds a special place in the culture of USA. Two American presidents have made the chair famous: Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy. President Lincoln was shot in Ford’s Theatre while sitting in a rocking chair. President John F. Kennedy used the chair to deal with his back problems. His chair was brought with him everywhere he went- even on Air Force One. He gave rocking chairs as gift to friends and members of the family and to heads of state.

My rocking chair is not old- only 53 years of age. I am 74 and I work with young people at the age of 50 – young and hard working people. But none of them  have bought a rocking chair – not yet. But let us wait and see who might be the next president of USA – a new Kennedy? –the present president whose name I do not want to mention, must understand that if he had used a rocking chair daily, he might have behaved more relaxed in contact with other people – he might have changed his political actions too? But anyway, I go for a new Kennedy and a new rocking chair policy.For your information only: The rocking chair which John F. Kennedy used when he met world leaders in the oval office ,has been sold at an auction, August 3, 2018 for USD 50.000.-




No comments: