Tuesday, July 3, 2018


MAD, BAD AND DANGEROUS: LORD BYRON

A visit to the city of Rome, Italy, some years resulted in a private research and study of the life and works of the “…mad ,bad and dangerous to know …”, Lord Byron. While I was waiting to get access to an international audiovisual conference in Rome, I was strolling around alone in a nice park of Villa Borghese close to the conference hall. Viewing sculptures set up for public viewing is an activity I appreciate. Close to the conference house I observed a white statue of the late, the famous and dangerous British poet, peer, politician and nobleman, Lord George Gordon Byron, 6th Baron Byron, known to many as only Lord Byron.

He was born in 1788. He died in year 1824 at an age of 36 from fever in Missolonghi. Viewing the sculpture arose some old, forgotten and fading knowledge about British poets who I had to study at the old high school – gymnas-in Oslo. I had a very good teacher who made British history and literature an interest of mine. Lord Byron was my favorite at the time. He was “ mad, bad and dangerous to know “, but his attitude to life and political actions were stimulating for a young rebel like me in 1966.
When I came home from Rome I began to search in my private library about literature about Lord Byron and his time. I had only read his famous book: “Childe Harold’s Pilgrimage “. The book was translated into Norwegian. But I had read a lot about his life and his literature. I recalled that I had bought a book about Lord Byron some years ago. It took me some time before I found the book because like many other librarians I do not put my books in correct order because I believe in my own memories knowing every bought, read and stored.

The book I had bought was published in Norway in 1948. The author of the book is the French author Andre Maurois. The title of the book is:  ” Byron ” which was translated by Ragna Thiis. The publishing company is Gyldendal Norsk Forlag, Oslo. In 1948 the publishing company did not publish one book only but divided the book into two books. I had got the second book only. Anyway I was not worried. I took it for granted that many copies of the books were to be found in different public libraries in Oslo. The public library of Oslo was requested about the book. I was surprised knowing that only one copy of the book was stored in the library – only one copy!

ANDRE MAUROIS: SOME FACTS ABOUT THE FRENCH AUTHOR
He was born Emilie Salomon Wilhelm Herzog in 1855. He died in year 1967. The biography of Lord Byron was first published in hardback in 1930. He wrote novels, short stories, biographies, histories, children’s books and science fiction stories.
Andre Maurois is describing Lord Byron in a nice and polite way. New statements to made headlines in newspapers about the life of Lord Byron is not his the way he wanted to present the poet who was regarded at his time as “ mad, bad and dangerous to know “.


MOVIES ABOUT LORD BYRON AND PUBLIC LIBRARIES
Knowing that the public libraries in Oslo have a great collections of films ,movies and documentaries made on DVD for public use, I took it for granted that books and movies of the Lord Byron was treated equally. I was wrong. No movies about Lord Byron had been bought for public use. Sorry.
Anyway, I found movies about Lord Byron on YouTube. I even found a movie made about the dramatic love affair between Lord Byron and Lady Caroline Lamb. She is portrayed by the actress Sarah Miles. The movie was released in 1972. Lady Caroline Lamb was mad about the poet but also made herself famous making the statement: “ … mad, bad and dangerous to know…”.

CONCLUSION
What is my aim of seaching for knowledge in year 2018 about a poet who died at the age of 36 in 1824? A visit in Rome, a sculpture, fading memories, the thrilling search for old and forgotten books and my interest as an advocate for access to both books and movies in public libraries, might be some of the reasons for my studies of Lord Byron. What about the bookshops in Oslo and books about Lord Byron? Only one copy left of “ Don Juan “ in one of the largest bookshops in Oslo. Not translated into Norwegian. Penguin Classics. Reprinted with corrections in 2013.In English only. To my surprise it is not written in a complicated language. Not at all. Easy to read. But I could not buy any movies about Lord Byron in the bookshops. I had to go back to YouTube for viewing of movies about the famous poet. The public libraries have got a competitor: YouTube.




No comments: