Sunday, August 9, 2009

VIDEOTAPES ON YOUR BOOKSHELVES

VIDEOTAPES ON YOUR BOOKSHELVES and LOUIS VUITTON'S BAGS

Frankly, I must admit that the name Louis Vuitton was not on my list of contact persons or a name of great interest until my summer holiday in the city of Nice, France in July year 2009.
Facts about bags,trunks and suitcases are not the kind of literature I read for fun during hot days in Nice. No. Due to the fact that I had to pass some expensive shops on my way to the beach each morning, I could not avoid being lectured about the greatness of the products of Louis Vuitton. The younger generation ( not passed the age of 40 yet) has a passion for the bags and the trunks made by LV. Wearing my good old jeans and using bags bought from army shops, I am not a customer made for the shops of the famous Louis Vuitton. No. Being accompanied by a representative of the younger generation with a taste for products of high quality, my attitude was accepted for a person out date- so to speak. Yes, I am out of date but I do not remember the date! Anyway, I decided to pay attention to the daily morning speech about ever lasting products. I was trapped by my own statements about keeping every book and videotape bought by me and my own demand for quality - what so ever.

TAPES, FILM REELS, TELEVISION EQUIPMENTS FOR HOME DECORATION

It was time to evaluate my old fashioned opinions about bags making a study of why some
want to buy products made for the few who can afford to buy bags at a price of 6000 NOK?
Any company who has managed to keep the business going for years is admired by me due to my conservative attitude to work and life in general. LV has been in the business for about 155 years. Splendid. A bag is not a bag only. I was told. I am not an admirer of the design of bags but
occupied with the purpose of the bag and with a practical definition of the purpose of the bag. The bag is made for transport of different things. No. I was told that my attitude to products made by human beings is too limited - to narrow-minded - too out of date. What a nice morning
in Nice! I had lost my ability in enjoying beautiful things. " ... A thing of Beauty is a Joy for ever ..." wroet the British poet John Keats (1795-1821) about his contact with nature and life. John Keats did not thought about bags and design products but his attitude is interesting even to-day, I think. We are surrounded by nature and by items made by human beings. It is a part of our life.

THE BAGS AND THE TAPES

Due to the fact that LV has managed to marked bags for 155 years, I began thinking about old tapes. Old two inch tapes only. The bags are not bought only for transport of equipments. No. The bags are also bought for being viewed in your home - a nice decoration. Even on bookshelves you might find a LV products next to book s written by Andre Malraux. When you
make people aware of a product you also support the industry set up for the production. We few, we happy few, who are working hard to make the management interested in the content of old tapes, wish and hope that the tv and radio directors are attending lessons at LV in marked work. Why are we not making the tapes so attractive that even young ladies want to buy the tapes for home decoration? Gradually they might find ou that the tapes are contenting interesting stories and photos and values hard to estimate. A thought brought to my mind while the red wine, the hot sun and a talking lady started a combined operation to make me change my reluctant and negative attitude to some beautiful products worth more than my holiday in Nice, France.

WIPED AND FORGOTTEN: OLD TWO INCH TAPES

It is not a question about bags that is the issue. It is the fight for attention in a business not always appreciated even by the management of the production companies: TV and Radio corporations worldwide. The attention to keep tapes contenting cultural values. No. We should learn the lesson from those who have fought for some values even if the values might not be a part of the economy for Mr. Smith. LV menas quality and high standard. The marketing of bands has been done by French actresses like Cathrine Deneuve ( She is still making movies and she does not care about the age,b.1943). My proposal is thatwe let her go to bed with old two inch tapes making statements about the cultural value of the content of the tapes. To make the shots as provocative as possible, we leave the settings to students of the famous German-Australian fashion photographer Helmut Newton ( 1920-2004). The aim is to make you all aware of the cultural values of old television and radio programmes stored in audiovisual archives worldwide.

AN ATTEMPT TO MAKE A CONCLUSION INFLUENCED BY FRENCH WINE, HOT SUN AND ABOVE ALL A STIMULATING CONVERSATION

I do see the points made by critical readers alraedy: LV is too expensive and made for the rich people only. Young ladies cannot afford buying the products ( agreed).
But that was not my point.
Too much wine and too much sun in Nice are not good for your judgement old man (agreed but what a nice time!).
Stay away for beautiful ladies under the age of 40( Easy for you to say when the lady is my daughter).

Anyway we must not forget about forgotten tapes contenting programmes of great value.
The maketing is important even for audiovisuale archives. The tapes must be as attractive in design as any product of LV. The aim is to bring the tapes to the homes for decoration too.
Last but not least: Make contact with Cathrine Deneuve( b.1943-) and she will make you buy tapes in Nice on a hot summer day even if you do not taste the good vine of France.
Tedd Urnes,
August 9, 2009

1 comment:

Lasse Nilsson said...

Karl Marx wrote about this already in "Das Kapital" (1867) when he introduces the concept "commodity fetishism" - the belief that value inheres in commodities instead of being added to them through labor.
Later thinkers on the theme minted the concept "You are what you buy". I think thats very very close to what´s it all about, whether you buy a red Ferrari or a Vuitton bag.