Sunday, January 22, 2017

FOR OLD TIMES SAKE

For old times sake, reading  pamphlets once more to make the memory  a memory of a happy time, are time consuming but a nice work. Viping of old books , papers, written reports and pamphlets are not a business to be recommended for old librarians. No.But the limitation of space to keep the many happy hours  ofthe past is a reality to most of us who have a passion for events passed but remembered.
Once upon a time I had to go to stockholm , Sweden, to get the annual dose of professional vitamins. Once upon a time , the most brilliant television archive was to be found in Stockhom, Sweden. Once upon a time, The Film library of the Swedish Broadcasting Corporation (SRT) was the most interesting film and video library worth a visit.

My private library has no more space for the many beloved documents and books which have made my  life more than one life only. Some books had to go.But I cound not make it throwing away to small , modest pamphlets  about the Swedish television library. One of papers had been published in 1969 and the orther pamphlet was printed in 1976. What was the reason for me to keep both of the papers for so many year? First of all, my contact with film and video library began in December 1976 when I got the work as the Head of the Film and Video Library at the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) in Oslo. My knowledge in the field was not much at all. I had to be educated in Sweden. But I returned to Stockholm year by year. I had a good time. Reading the two small pamphlets once more for the old times sake, I do remember the nice people who worked in the archive. A good service and open information about the latest news in the field of preservation of transmitted programmes and research work was given to me. Little by little I understood the main aim of the work: Preservation of the audiovisual heritage of the nation! In year 1976 it was not an accepted   national policy among those who worked in the television companies worldwide and above all: The source was not accepted by academics  as an important source for studies.

Once upon a time I went to Stockholm…
Once upon a time I believed we might make it getting the recognition  for the work done.
I do not go to Stockholm any more. But I think the work we did is recognized  as an important contribution to the preservation of the audiovisual archives worldwide.

Thank you:Stellan Norrlander, Lasse Nilsson, Marianne Johansson, Eva-Lis Green, Ove Wahlquist, Lars-Gunnar Bengtsson, Bengt Lorentzon ,Margareta Hedlund, Myr Hamrin-Peter, Karin Strunk, Marianne Danelius, Arne Lind, Sven Allerstrand, Monica Troupp, Elisabeth Martin-Løf  and the staff who made the work a nice experience. Above all: Keep up the standard of the work  you presented to me year by year. Take care.




 

1 comment:

Eevi said...

Thanks for your warmly written text!
Good memories make us smile and feel happy. Good memories are like a sunshine in our lives.