Tuesday, April 12, 2016

MIGUEL DE CERVANTES

SPAIN: CARTAGENA. HISTORY ON THE WALL
Miguel de Cervantes
The city of Cartagena is worth a visit if you appreciate seaside cities, old building and historical sites. Walking close to the harbour, I was surprised to find Spanish history on the wall on one of the old buildings.The famous Spanish writer was the subject for my attention. It was not easy to find the sign on the wall, but I do wall searching for historical information when I am holiday in foreign cities. I do recall the study of his famous book, Don Quixote, during my years as a student at the Norwegian Library School in late sixties in Oslo. He is regarded as one of the greatest writer  in Spanish language. At the Norwegian Library school the book was studied by making use of a Norwegian translation. Miguel de Cervantes was assumed born in 1547 and died in 1616. His major work, Don Quixote, is considered to be the first modern  European novel. The writer did not work as a writer all his life. He was a professional soldier, a purchasting agent for the Spanish Armanda, a tax collector for the government, working for the banking industry, and  he tried to get a job as an accountant for the  port of Cartagena too. He was unable to support himself through his writings. The Count of Lemos, Pedro Fernandez de Castro y Andrade , supported him economically. Miguel de Cervantes settled in Madrid where he lived and worked until his death.
The sculpture of the writer reading books is my favorite schulpture. I have searched for the schulpture for years without any result. Call me if you find one!





No comments: