Sunday, November 17, 2013

POSTTRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER (PTSD), ALCOHOL AND SOVIET ASYLUM

My first encounter with the author of the book: "AVOID the VOID . A Struggle for Decency. A Journey from a Soviet Asylum to Paradise Forgotten " , took place at a local political meeting in Oslo some years ago. Gunnar Gjengset was a man with few words. He was calm, goodlooking and polite. His statements later that evening was a contrast to my first impression of him. "... I brought with me my wife for safety reasons he told  me...". I did not understand what he was talking about. I had no idea that he had problems with alcohol.. No. But I was fascinated by the story of his actions in Soviet Union in 1970. He had written a book about his experience being arrested and sentenced to one year in a labour camp in the former Soviet Union. He had entered the former Soviet Union in year 1970 to take action against violations of human rights. Due to an international action, he was released from the prison to return to Norway. So far, so good. The book mentioned is about his mental problems later on. " ... I walked into Soviet criminal asylum in the winter of 1970. I left the asylum with a package: A Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) that exploded some thirty-five years later, on re-entring the former East Germany. Until then, I had tried to drown what was buried deep inside me, with occeans of alcohol. Slowly I got rid of it all. It took some will...", quotation from the book.
Gunnar Gjengset, Ph. D. who is a retired Norwegian professor, is a writer too. The content of the book is an honest and tough report and confession about his alcohol problems lasting for years. He had it all: An academic eductation, work, family, friends, and above all: A popular teacher and friend with whom all wanted to work . But he was not that good at all. This is his story about his private journey  and fight  with his close friend: Alcohol. About how to solve his problems and his opinions of how to get out of the hell being addict to alcohol, I recommend you to read the book and make up our own opinions. His answer is all all of you who are addict to alcohol, is a brutal, realistic and hard answer. "... Do you really want to get sober? Do you really want him to get sober?...".
Two main questions asked by the auther in his book. If you the answer is:Yes. Next question: What's keeping you? Gunnar Gjengset decided to take control of his escalating abuse of alcohol. Study his list for surviving, a day-to-day schedule for how to challenge the boozing. If you admit that you have a problem - that is the main issue - then you have to invest in at least one year of your lifetime making you life better. Good Luck.



No comments: