Friday, September 17, 2010

SOME CAME RUNNING




Some came running - I am not thinking about the famous novel written by the American author James Jones or the movie with the same title.The plot is based on the novel. No. I am concerned about a shot of some British soldiers running. They run fast because the shot is taken during a real battle. They run for their lives, so to speak. I do not know where they are running. I do not know the site for the event or the correct year for the event. I see that the soldiers are running from the right side of the picture to the left side. The shot was found in two different documentaries: " The Battle of Britain " and " Elite Forces.Paratroops 1940-1945 ".
I am viewing and evaluating the films as any other source about the Second World War.
Written papers about historical events are objects for critical evaluations by those who want to add the documents to the list of papers used for the report. In the film
" The Battle of Britain " ,the shot is used to show you the fighting before the evacuation at Dunkerque, or " Dunkirk", in France. The year is 1940. Dunkerque is associated with the famous evacuation of British,French and Allied troops in 1940. The same shot is again used in the film:
" Elite Forces. Paratroops 1940-1945 ". But I am not viewing dramatic events close to
Dunkerque in 1940 but viewing a report about Operation Market Garden in September 1944 close to Arnhem in Holland.The film " A Bridge too FAR " is about the Operation Market Garden. The year is 1944. Some British soldiers came running but I do not know the correct site for the running. My approach to the running soldiers is my
concern about the source I am viewing.It is important to trust the source whether it is a written document or a report made by moving images. Do we trust the documentaries as a source when we again and again discover the misuse of shots?
No. We do not reuse papers contenting wrong information when we select facts for a
report to be published.Audiovisual archives need to make sure that facts stored in the catalogues are correct facts.A work to be done.

No comments: